Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ma Petite Chou

I'm waiting for rain. The forecast promised rain and possibly thunderstorms today, and because I planted my little cabbages yesterday, I am especially eager for a ground-soaker. It's been overcast and windy all afternoon, but so far we've had only a few scattered sprinkles that can't even be called "mistin'," as people here might say.

Those little cabbages are quite cute. I bought two bundles of what I thought were "bare-root" plants--$3.49 for 30 cabbages--to see if they worked out for me. I was surprised when I took the rubber band from around the brown paper; I expected to see straggly little bare roots thirsty for water. (I don't know why I expected this. The plants were very green and healthy looking or I wouldn't have bought them.) Instead, each baby cabbage's roots were enclosed in their own little cube of gel and seed-starting mix. If I could find the camera I would include a photo--this is cool stuff.

I planted them deep in well-composted trenches so that their leaves are just about the surface of the soil. More roots will emerge along the stem if it comes into contact with soil, so this will keep them snugly in the ground.

I planted the first round (18 plants) of broccoli yesterday, too. I'll plant them in four stages, about a week apart so that I have some nice heads when the market opens the first weekend of June. The first year I sold at the market I had about 40 heads of broccoli the first day and I couldn't pay people to take the last 20. People started to stare. What could I do with 20 heads of broccoli? And the more you shake heads of broccoli at people, the less likely they are to accept it. Sir, just take the broccoli and no one will get hurt. I'll throw in a bunch of radishes. 

I was headed out of town to work for a week that afternoon. I gave it away to incredulous spectators at a baseball game. 

The next week at the market, I had 20 people asking for broccoli, and I had cut all the broccoli heads the week before. But I'm doing better now. And I plant a lot more than 40 heads now.

I bought the broccoli plants in 9-cell packs. They were perky until about two hours after I planted them. Then they started to wilt. It was over 70 degrees yesterday, and the soil was really warm. I didn't water them, though; we were promised rain today. So the more expensive broccoli didn't look nearly as healthy as the cheaper cabbages. I know I should have watered them, but I like living dangerously.

We'll see. (And you will, too, if I ever find the camera.)

For less than $7, I'll (possibly) have 60 cabbages to sell for $1/head. Not a bad profit, even if only half of them live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment