Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Summer and Winter

Although I thought I'd be overrun by zucchini last summer, the crop had dwindled down to almost nothing by mid-July, probably because I planted them among the corn that eventually shaded the sun-lovers too much. And I didn't test the soil, so that probably didn't help.

But with six more weeks of the farmers' market to go, I needed to make those zucchini last as long as possible. I picked all I could and shredded it a little at a time--whenever I felt bored or had nothing else to do. Because this happens all the time, of course.

Zucchini muffins are one of my best-selling items and the profit margin isn't too bad. If I freeze shredded zucchini in two-cup measures, I can begin selling zucchini muffins before the vegetable is in season. The top shelf in our deep freeze is still crowded with the little containers of shredded zucchini and the bottom shelf has packets of frozen muffins left over from slow market days. These muffins are especially good the day after they are baked, and they freeze better than any other vegetable or fruit bread that I know of.

Here's the recipe I use.

Zucchini Muffins

3 eggs (preferably from happy chickens that lay medium size eggs)
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil (then I usually take out 2 T. This makes them a little less oily the next day. You can take out a little more and experiment. Let me know what happens.)
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 c. quick oats (this makes a nice crunchy top)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
2 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. grated coconut (you can leave this out if you don't like coconut, or cut the amount in half. I've made them both ways, and it works--but I like the full amount best and so do my customers)

Mix ingredients together all at once. Fill lined muffin pans about 2/3 full, then bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. If you like muffins with a domed top, fill the muffin cups a little more than 2/3 full. 

My oven bakes hot, so I start checking at about 15 minutes. Test them with a cake tester. This usually makes 15 to 18 muffins depending on the moisture in the zucchini and the amount of coconut I've used.

Adding cream cheese frosting makes this muffin into a dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment