Sunday, February 8, 2009

Three Signs of Spring

While we have a groundhog living in the brushpile at the edge of the yard, we weren't home to notice whether he saw his shadow on Groundhog Day last week. Instead, we look to other signs that spring will soon arrive. 

At least three things happened this weekend that are good indications that spring is near. One, I was able to hang my laundry out on the clothesline without wearing mittens. In fact, all the laundry that was in the laundry room is now fresh and dry--well, not all the laundry, but most of it. Seeing my laundry waving in the breeze is one of my favorite sights. 

Then, on my way around the house to check on the raised beds I worked on yesterday, I saw my miniature daffodils beginning to poke their wispy little sprouts out from the soil. On further inspection, I saw the grape hyacinths, too, and the iris fans and lambs' ears are turning greener and sturdier.

Finally--and this isn't really a harbinger of spring because she does it whenever she gets a chance--Junie B rolled her cheeks in the horse poop yesterday. What makes it a spring event is that the poop wasn't frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment